Staff Grievance

It is the policy of the University of Arkansas Systems Division of Agriculture to encourage fair, efficient and equitable solutions for problems arising out of the employment relationship. Therefore this policy has been adopted to provide an avenue of resolving grievances for all appointed employees of the Division of Agriculture.

Who can file a Grievance:

All appointed employees, either classified or non-classified, including faculty that are no eligible for any other faulty grievance process, can file a grievance.

What is a Grievance:

A grievance is a defined as an alleged misinterpretation, misapplication, or violation of a specific provision of the University of Arkansas and/or the Division of Agriculture policies that materially affects the grievant's terms or conditions of employment.  The following disputes are excluded from the grievance process: 1) wage and salaries; 2) falsification of application materials; 3) retrenchment of employees pursuant to Board Policy 405.5; 4) matters involving reappointment, performance evaluations, and promotions which do not claim a failure to follow established policy; 5) classification of positions; 6) terminations pursuant to Board Policy 405.4; (7) any claims or allegations of discrimination, harassment, or retaliation, etc; (8) issues relating to tenure; and (9) job relocation or reassignment of job duties.

Informal Grievance:

If an employee would like to address a grievance through discussion, the informal process has been developed as an avenue for an employee to engage in simple discussions to bring forth the issue and resolve that issue in an informal setting.  The informal process can be accomplished with or without the assistance of the Grievance Officer.

Formal Grievance:

If an employee does not wish to go through an informal process or the issue could not be resolved through the informal process, then an employee may engage in the formal process.  This is accomplished by completed of a written grievance form.

For the complete text of the grievance procedures, please see Division’s Grievance Policy.